Dave's RVs Frequently Asked Questions
What are your rental rates?
We have “IN-Season” and “Off-Season” rates. Typically, IN Season is Christmas, Spring Break, and Summer.
Please see the RATES tab at the top of the website.
Do you have any “Specials” or Discounts?
Yes, we have several discounts, not to be combined.
- Referral discount: Refer a new customer who books a trip, and get a 10% discount for on your next trip.
- We may occasionally provide “Last Minute Deals” or allow a 2-night rental. Call if you see a short unused period on the RV calendar.
- Got a cottage or vacation rental? We may be open to doing a “night for night” swap with you!
How many miles are included with the rental?
Our RV rentals include 100 miles per day rented, or 700 miles per week.
Additional miles are charged at $0.35 per mile.
You can estimate your mileage with GOOGLE MAPS (good for multiple destinations), or DistanceBetweenCities.net includes a gasoline cost estimate.
Are there any extra fees?
Many people rent an RV with no extra fees at all.
There are optional fees for renting bikes and bike racks, kayaks, etc.
You can avoid the “laundry fee” if you wash the linens & towels, or use your own.
There is also a fee if you want us to clean the RV for you.
Please see the “RATES" tab at the top of the website,
Do you accept credit cards?
Yes. We accept all the major credit cards: VISA, Mastercard, AMEX, Discover.
Currently we are not setup to take credit cards from the website.
How do I BOOK an RV?
After checking the green CHECK AVAILABILITY button found on each RV page, please fill out the form in the "CONTACT US" page.
I will reply with a quote.
Then call Dave at 616-799.RENT, and we can charge your reservation deposit over the phone or via a secure Invoice portal on the internet.
We can also transfer funds via Chase Bank "person to person" pay.
How does the reservation deposit work?
A $1000 RESERVATION deposit is required when you call to book the RV, which is also your SECURITY deposit.
In case of cancellation, the amount in excess of your rental fee will be refunded.
Any unpaid RENTAL fee is required when you pick up the RV.
Security deposit will be refunded within 8 business days after RV is returned in good condition.
What about Insurance?
I have commercial leasing insurance via MBA Insurance to meet the minimum requirements of Michigan law. They require that you also check with your auto insurance agent to see if they offer you additional RV Motor home rental insurance. Some insurance companies include this as part of your policy, and some will write a temporary "binder" for a small daily fee (typ $6 - $10 / day).
Auto Insurance Companies That *DO* Offer RV Rental Insurance binders:
State Farm, Farmers, AAA, USAA, 21st Century, AllState, Wawanesa, and many more.
Companies that do *NOT* Offer RV Rental Insurance:
Geico, LibertyMutual, Mercury, Travelers, Progressive, Amica, Ameriprise, GMAC, Hartford, Nationwide.
I will send you info about the RV to forward to your insurance agent to check if they cover you.
If your insurance carrier does NOT offer additional RV rental coverage for you, must purchase Supplemental Liability, Personal Accident and Personal Effects Insurance from MBA insurance. This increases your insurance to: $1M Bodily Injury (BI) / $1M BI per accident / $50K Property Damage.
Cost is about $14.95 per day. Here's how:
- Click here: MBA Supplemental Insurance.
- Enter my insurance policy number "501170". My company name is "Spectrum Products LLC", dba "Dave's RVs".
- Fill out the form for instant approval. It will send a confirmation email to both you an me.
In addition, many credit cards offer "Trip Insurance" AND Collision Insurance if you pay for your trip with the credit card. Check with your credit card company to see if they offer this. Most "Travel" cards or "Rewards" cards offer this service, so I recommend you pay for your rental with these cards if you have one.
Please check this sight to see the BEST Travel and rewards cards: https://thepointsguy.com/cards/
When you pick up the RV, I will need a photocopy of your Drivers License and Proof of Insurance (for your vehicle) to keep for my records in case of an accident and my insurance company asks for it to coordinate injury benefits. In case of an accident or damage to the RV, your security deposit ($1000) will be used towards any un-covered damages or to pay for my insurance deductible.
What is included in the base RV rental fee?
- Bedding: For RVs with a queen size bed we include a Comforter, Blanket, and 2 pillows for this one bed only. Let us know if you need in advance more for the other beds.
- Bed sheets and Towels: Optional for a $25 fee. To save this fee, you can bring your own use ours and wash them and replace them on the bed. I recommend sleeping bags for the over-the cab bed and fold down beds. Regardless if you paid or not, please place any used linens or towels in the shower so we know what to wash.
- If available, a fold-up sleeping cot or air mattress if you need one more bed, let us know in advance.
- Setting for 6 of plates, cups, glasses, bowls, silverware.
- Pots, pans, cooking utensils
- Coffee maker
- TV / DVD player and DVD's (I have about 30 for you to choose from)
- USB charing outlets (bring your cables)
- Portable gas grill and cylinder ($25 fee)
- 4 captains chairs, let us know if you need more
- Swiffer mop & pads, Broom, and dustpan.
- Large patio/porch mat for the larger RV's
- Weiner roasters, maybe even hobo pie makers
- Optional bike rack ($25 fee)
- Toilet paper and RV Holding Tank additive / deoderant
- Water hoses and electrical cord
- Electric heater (in cooler weather)
Where do I pick up the RV?
At our house: 225 Maynard Ave NW, Grand Rapids, MI 49504.
Google Maps will take you right to our door.
Can I leave my vehicle parked at your place while I'm camping?
Yes, for a small fee. See the "RATES" page.
Can you pick us up from the Grand Rapids airport?
Maybe, for a fee. We are 20 minutes from the GRR Airport, and suggest using UBER over a taxi.
What are your pickup and drop-off times?
I try to be flexible to meet renter’s needs, but I do have a “daytime job”. :-)
We will arrange pickup and return times that works best for you, me, the prior renter, and the next renter. I will send you a Google Calendar Invite after we agree on the dates, times, reminders, and my address .
- PICKUP TIMES: On weekdays, preferred pickup is 7 pm. Saturdays: After noon, or earlier if RV is available. Sundays: I prefer you pickup on Saturdays, but I may make exceptions.
- RETURN TIMES: By 3 pm on weekdays and NOON on weekends if RV is rented later that day. Park the RV on the North side of the driveway.
How long does the RV orientation at pickup take?
Plan on spending AT LEAST 1 hour (more or less depending on your experience) with me giving you a tour & instructions on everything you need to know about an RV.
I will give you printed instructions to take with you. I also go over safety and driving instructions with you. You will also have to make any final rental payments and security deposit (if you have not already done so).
Can you deliver the RV to my location or campground?
Usually not, but it doesn't hurt to ask. There would be a fee for the cost of the fuel for two vehicles & two people's time.
Does driving an RV require any special license?
No. I will spend time with you going over everything you need to know about driving an RV.
See the document: “RV Rental Guidelines - Driving Tips” in our documents section.
For the big Winnebago Class A, it would help to have some experience driving or towing larger vehicles.
What are the requirements for drivers?
- be at least 26 years of age
- have a valid driver's license
- have a good driving record with no DWI's.
- have proof of insurance on their personal vehicle for personal Injury protection.
Can you chauffeur the RV for our group (I.e. Football tailgaters, winery tour, etc)
Get Dave's RV and Dave too! I may be able to drive to some events for a fee... or food! Call to discuss.
Are seat belts required for all passengers?
Front seat passengers and all those under the age of 16 must be seat-belted, just like a car.
Infants & toddlers must have car-seats, just like a car.
We recommend everyone wear seat belts when seated (just like a plane).
Can I bring a pet?
Yes, on RVs some RVs only. Small to medium dogs (under 60 lb) are allowed for a fee who are well mannered, don't shed, non-allergenic and are house trained. Some breeds known to be aggressive not allowed. Please remove all traces of pet scent and fur.
Sorry, NO cats due to increase risk of allergies.
Does Dave’s RVs provide a "Smoke Free" rental experience?
Dave’s RVs are Smoke Free. We take this responsibility to our clients very seriously. "No Smoking" is a requirement for renters. A smoke removal fee of up to the amount of the security deposit is assessed should the strict "No Smoking" policy be violated.
What if I break down?
We keep Dave’s RVs in top mechanical condition, especially when it comes to safety features like tires and brakes.
In the rare event the RV breaks down, we’ll do our best to get you on the road again ASAP.
- Try to assess the situation and use on-board tool kit, if you are "handy".
- Flat or punctured tires: A spare tire is located under the rear of the RV if you feel up to changing it. For tire changing on the bigger RV's, call for roadside assistance below. Also, I can provide "tire repair" and inflator kit to take with you. Rest assured, all Dave's RVs tires have been recently replace with Michelin's best RV tires.A
- Always call or text Dave at 616-799-7368. I can possibly put you in touch with my "on-call" mechanic to advise you.
- Still stuck? Call “Good Sam” roadside assistance who specialize in RV’s. 866-553-7842. Give them the name Dave Meekhof because the RV and service is registered to me. Member number is on card in glove box.
- Some of Dave's RVs may have the Verizon "Hum" diagnostic module - compare to GM's "OnStar". Just push the button to be connected to a mechanic. Hum also sends me an alert if there's anything wrong with the engine (Diagnostic Trouble Codes such as over-heating, etc).
- For minor issues such as jump start or flat tire, use the Smart Phone App: BLINK Roadside Assistance, they can send you help FAST. (When filling out the form on the App, make sure to click that you are "within 15 feet of a road")
What if something breaks?
If you break something, let me know so I can fix it in time before the next renter. Sometimes I can fix it myself at minimal cost to you. If something was already broken and not your fault, you will not be charged, but please let me know about it.
PLEASE tell me if anything is broken it so I can fix it before the next renter arrives!
Do I need a campground with "Full Hookups"?
1. It's nice to have Electric or "Shore Power", which is 30A service for all Daves RVs. This will charge your camper battery and run all your 120v appliances (outlets, A/C, microwave).
If you don't have "shore power", pretty much everything except your A/C and microwave run off the camper battery or propane. If you want to run the A/C or microwave, you could start the on-board generator. (Two RV's do NOT have a working generator, ask in advance if this is important to you).
2. Your campsite might have running water. Nice, but not necessary. In this case, you plug in the white hose to the faucet and that water goes straight to your faucets & toilet, by-passing the RV's stored water tank. NOTE: always include the PRESSURE REGULATOR in line with the white hose to prevent campground water pressure surges from causing leaks to Dave's RVs.
3. Your campsite might have a waste-water "dump station". (Again, Nice, but not necessary.) In this case, you can dump your RV waste tanks right on your site before leaving instead of waiting in line at the campground "Dump Station". NOTE: Do NOT keep the RV dump valves open all the time when connected to your site's dump drain. It is better to let the waste build up in the RV tank and dump it all at one time. This avoids the "Pyramid Effect" from happening in your black water waste tank. :-). Also remember to fill and flush the toilet bowl several times when dumping the black water tank.
More info on "RV Toilet etiquette" here: http://www.doityourselfrv.com/rv-toilet-etiquette-tips/
What do I need to do upon return?
- Dump the waste tanks when you leave the last campground. (or you can pay me a $50 dumping fee)
- Fill the gas tank to full.
- Fill the Propane tanks if below 1/2 full (or be charged for what you used)
- Clean the interior and exterior (see below)
- Check every drawer and compartment for your personal belongings
- Park the RV on the North side of my driveway. If you are not comfortable backing it all the way up my driveway, I can turn it around later. Make sure you leave the keys in the RV or on desk in garage.
- Tell Dave of any issues or concerns.
How and where do I CLEAN the RV before returning?
- Interior: We provide vacuum cleaner and AMWAY cleaning supplies for the INSIDE of the RV, which someone can do on your drive back. $25 interior cleaning fee if you do not clean the interior.
- Exterior: You can wash the RV's Exterior...
- In YOUR driveway (using a long RV brush),
- At the Standale "Self-Serve Car Wash" one mile WEST of us at 465 Kinney NW, Walker, MI.
NOTE: The Class A Winnebago Adventure, FOUR WINDS, and Class C Jayco Greyhawk WILL NOT FIT in this car wash!!! In this case, go to:
- Marathon Self Car Wash: 3434 Remembrance Rd NW, Grand Rapids, MI 49534. This car wash is very tall and fits all of Dave's RVs.
- Or you can pay the $50 exterior cleaning fee if you do not clean the exterior.
Where can I fill the propane tanks?
If you have used more than 1⁄2 tank of propane, please fill the tanks at a propane gas station. You can fill at many hardware stores, U-Haul, or any propane station, including:
- Any U-Haul
- Hardware stores that refill propane tanks for grills.
- Truck Stops, such as "Flying J" or Pilot
- Ace Hardware Store, 4300 Remembrance Rd NW, Walker, MI 49534
- Van Mannen Oil, 0-305 Lake Michigan Dr, NW., Grand Rapids, MI 49534
- Progas Propane 13751 Ironwood Dr (Remembrance Rd), Grand Rapids, MI 49534
- U-Haul (616) 363-4811, 2345 Alpine Ave NW, Walker, MI 49504
- Richfield RV & Marine Supply 7245 S Division Avenue Grand Rapids MI 49548
- ProGas 616-669-1121 5900 Balsam Drive Hudsonville MI 49426
- Gemmens Hardware, 3488 Kelly St, Hudsonville, MI
Will my rental experience help me decide what RV to buy later?
Many of our customers rent so they can “Try before you buy”. We can help give advice on purchasing an RV. Many of our clients decide that it’s not worth the high costs of owning an RV (purchase, annual registration, maintenance and repairs, insurance) and choose to continue renting instead
Didn’t see your question here? Give Dave a call at 616.799-RENT, or leave a comment in the “Contact Us” page of our website!